The Return

I am sitting at Delhi Airport waiting to board my flight and barely have time to write but I wanted to get this out before Jack and Arnold tee off at Augusta. I can't remember a sports event that I have looked forward to more than "The Return". If you haven't been asleep for the past six months you know what I mean and who I am talking about. If you don't, then please don't read on.

This return is one of the most anticipated in sports history for reasons too obvious to list. Not only is the man in question one of the greatest athletes of all time, his global presence and power may have eclipsed even Michael Jordan (may be). His absence from the sport was not an injury, a drug problem or premature retirement, which are more often the cases for a return. His absence was something personal, which makes things even more exciting.

In these past 6 months he has become a cocktail joke, the basis for many email forwards and sms's across the globe. People who haven't held a golf club in their lives have judged, mocked and criticized him. He lost sponsors and his reputation. He lost respect, fans and money. But the only question I have wondered all week, is that has he lost his swing? That is all I care about.

I watched his press conference on Monday. He looked defeated, beaten down and tired. For 25 minutes he was asked questions about his family, rehab, regrets and you know what else. He answered, he answered every one of them with grace and humility. And then it happened. A reporter suddenly asked a question that did not seem to be the topic of the day. He asked, so what are your feelings going in to the tournament? The man, relieved and shocked by a change in topic smiled and even laughed a little and said, "Nothings changed Salty, I'm still going to go out there and try and win this thing." Here is hoping that he does.

Teeing off at 1:45 pm EST (US), Ladies and Gentleman- Tiger Woods

They are calling my flight. More later....

Comments

  1. Dude, you put it perfectly...Can't wait. I think he takes it..

    ReplyDelete
  2. HE IS WINNING FOR SURE.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. tooo good a piece rock on keep writing

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIYejgkqd0o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, I dont follow golf but I remember asking you the tee-off time a few days back so thanks. Im kicked about "The Return" and hoping he puts on a good show. His press conference was so much better than that ridiculous "apology" few months back. It was also clever of him to return at Augusta which is a more regulated affair in terms of crowd and journalists than the typical tournament.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roger Federer and the World Series of Poker

Meera Sanyal- Clueless

Shahrukh Khan and Security